How To Get Rid Of Pigeons On Your Las Vegas Property
March 5, 2021
Most of the pests we encounter around the Las Vegas area are four to six-legged creatures that scuttle into our homes unannounced. However, some of the most plentiful pests in our urban slice of heaven have a pair of wings, a beak, and an incurable hunger for bread!
Pigeons are perhaps the most common avian pest in all of Las Vegas. While they are slightly more common around commercial facilities and industrial zones, you can find these pests in almost any area. In fact, pigeons are so common that most people don't pay them the slightest attention.
We can all easily identify these round birds with gray plumage, yellow eyes, and sometimes green or purple feather markings. Pigeons usually congregate in large groups and leave evidence of their presence via droppings and waste left on surfaces. Store entrances, parked cars, and even window sills can be deposit zones for pigeon 'surprises' nearly all months of the year.
While pigeons are perhaps some of the easiest pests to ignore around our Las Vegas properties, they are far more dangerous than many believe. Most of us are familiar with viruses and pathogens spread through birds, including avian flu. It is never a good idea to touch or interact with a wild bird, even if it appears tame. What's more, the excrement that pigeons leave behind contains all manner of dangerous illnesses, including E. coli and salmonella.
For a commercial business, pigeons cause a myriad of other serious issues:
- They leave unwanted nests in eaves, around roofs, or inside HVAC equipment, leading to significant electrical or industrial fires if left untreated.
- They carry other unwanted pests such as ticks, fleas, and mites.
- They leave slick walkways and sidewalks with their droppings.
- They leave acidic droppings that eat through metal surfaces.
If you have pigeons beginning to nest around your Las Vegas property, you will need to contact a professional pest control agent such as Anderson Pest Control as soon as possible.
Preventing Pesky Pigeons With Some TLC
Pigeons are risky pests to ignore for both residential and commercial homeowners alike. However, preventing their arrival to your property may be easier than you think. All it takes to keep pigeon populations at bay is to follow each of the prevention steps listed below.
- Keep all food items stored inside strong plastic bins. Clean up after any outdoor food spills that could attract pigeon activity.
- Inform customers, visitors, and anyone else in the area not to feed pigeons around your property.
- Seal off areas that pigeons could infiltrate. Sealing off these areas can be done through mitigation technology or additional construction.
- Pigeons are a concerning pest to manage in almost any environment. Removing pest birds such as pigeons will take a great deal more than prevention steps, especially if their habitat is much older and well established.
Not sure if pigeons in your area have graduated from pesky presence to pest infestation? Anderson Pest Control can help. Reach out to our award-winning Las Vegas team at your earliest convenience to book an initial pigeon inspection and control service right away.
Professional Pigeon Assistance Is Only A Call Away
If you need to get rid of pigeons that have already established themselves on your property, make sure you are putting yourself in good hands. The professional assistance of Anderson Pest Control is not only quick and efficient but extremely cost-effective as well.