How To Prevent Cockroaches In Las Vegas
December 3, 2021
Does anyone think pleasant thoughts about cockroaches? I seriously doubt it. Just the thought of seeing one skittering across the floor of your home can send chills down your spine.
Here in Las Vegas, three different species have taken up residence; the American Cockroach, the oriental cockroach, and the German cockroach.
The American roach is reddish-brown with a yellowish figure-eight pattern on the back of their heads, and they can grow to a full 2 1/8 inches in length.
Oriental Cockroaches are about one inch in length and jet black. This is the least common type of roach here in Vegas, but they are just as troublesome as the rest.
Finally, we have the German cockroach. They are the smaller of the three, only reaching about 5/6 of an inch in length, and are light brown to tan in color. These are the most common of all the roaches we have.
Problems Caused By Cockroaches
Many people don’t realize just how dangerous a cockroach can be. They might be small in size, but they can carry 33 different types of harmful bacteria, spread seven human pathogens and host six parasites. Roaches roam in filthy, disease-ridden areas like sewers and trash, feasting on dead and decaying organisms. They are the last thing you want moving around inside your home because as they travel, they can spread bacteria across kitchen and bathroom surfaces, dining room tables, and especially food if it’s left out. But wait, we’re not done yet. Cockroaches will even cause asthma attacks and allergic reactions in people when they shed their skin.
Keeping Cockroaches Out Of Your Las Vegas Home
The cockroach is one of the toughest pests to keep out of your home due to the sheer number of ways they can get inside. For instance, they can crawl in through utility pipes, sewer drains, or small holes on the outside of your home. But you can take pre-emptive actions to keep these bugs away.
- Use caulking to seal gaps and cracks around windows, door frames, and in the foundation.
- You can use inexpensive door sweeps on exterior doors to ensure there is no gap for a bug to enter through.
- Reduce moisture in the house. Fix leaks, repair broken gutters and place dehumidifiers in basements, bathrooms, and laundry areas.
- Don’t leave pet food on the floor overnight.
- Make sure everyone only eats in the kitchen and dining room.
- Make sure to store food properly. A roach can live off the smallest of crumbs.
- The most crucial action you can take is to make sure you clean regularly. This includes underneath appliances and deep inside cupboards.
Even if you do everything listed above, there is still no guarantee you will be roach-free, but it’s a start. Remember, you’re dealing with a bug that can live off paper, glue, dead skin, and even human saliva.
Professional Cockroach Prevention With Anderson Pest Control
The best thing you can do is contact Anderson Pest Control to keep these bugs out of your home. With proper maintenance and cleaning, you should be able to keep your Las Vegas residence clear of harmful roaches. Reach out to us today to learn more about our cockroach control options and year-round pest control plan.